Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#150077 - 24/03/2003 14:03 "Evidence for a Young World"
drakino
carpal tunnel

Anyone here ever found a specific paper or site that counters the paper "Evidence for a Young Earth" by D. Russell Humphreys, Ph.D.? It seems to be the popluar paper a local religious person uses to debunk not only evolution, but also the idea that the Earth is much older then a few thousand years.

#150078 - 24/03/2003 14:49 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My favorite research on this topic is www.talkorigins.org . Enjoy!

By the way, send this guy a tape of the episode of Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" from two weeks ago, it was on this topic. Well, he probably already has it... Heck, he was probably in it.

#150079 - 24/03/2003 14:55 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

send this guy a tape of the episode of Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" from two weeks ago, it was on this topic.

I'm tempted to extract this off my PVR, I still have it saved. Though he believes "Intellegant Design" is the theory of aliens creating us, and not "the science of creationism"

#150080 - 24/03/2003 14:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
What's the difference? You're just substituting aliens for God. Otherwise it's all the same, other than some general handwaving that science is still accurate.

#150081 - 24/03/2003 14:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Though he believes "Intellegant Design" is the theory of aliens creating us, and not "the science of creationism"
Yeah, I love the comment P&T made about that, specifically, near the end of the episode. That was really funny.

#150082 - 24/03/2003 15:01 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And by the way, the talkorigins archive has some very specific point-by-point stuff in there, it doesn't have to be specifically "versus-the-creationists" stuff, it refutes the young-earth arguments or any other similar arguments in detail that's equally applicable to "versus-the-aliens" people.

#150083 - 24/03/2003 17:12 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Though he believes "Intellegant Design" is the theory of aliens creating us, and not "the science of creationism"

FWIW, when you say "science of creationism", ID doesn't necessarily mean "creationism of the bible", though biblical creationists are usually the ones who champion the idea. Theistic Evolution would fall under Intelligent Design, though this is a notion most evangelicals reject for theological reasons. I'd also like to point out that Christianity is not united on the young earth vs. old earth issue, though some make it appear that way.

#150084 - 24/03/2003 17:21 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

What's the difference? You're just substituting aliens for God.

I believe that the difference is that Aliens would still exist in our creation, and therefore need a creator. God, since He exists outside of our creation, doesn't require a creator. (This is how a Theist would answer the "Uncaused Cause" question, anyway).

As for the "handwaving that science is still accurate", my understanding is that in it's pure form, ID doesn't say much about science at all. It merely asserts that based on the evidence of what we observe in science, the evidence demonstrates that it must have been created by an outside intelligence. ID also makes no claims as the the purpose or method in which our creation came about, only that it was caused by an external force.

Of course, this is actually saying very little, but it is the foundation upon which many arguments are made concerning God and creation. Still, the only question being addressed by ID is whether the universe around us points to a creator or a random occurance.

#150085 - 24/03/2003 17:40 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

ID doesn't necessarily mean "creationism of the bible", though biblical creationists are usually the ones who champion the idea.
Yeah, this is something that the P&T show tried to drive home pretty strongly: That even though the term "intelligent design" doesn't necessarily mean "Christian", it always seems to be the fundamentalist Christians using it to shoehorn their ideas into public schools.

I'll agree that the article that started this thread was about non-Christian-based ID (Tom said it was Aliens this time?).

I'd also like to point out that Christianity is not united on the young earth vs. old earth issue, though some make it appear that way.
Good point, and very true.

#150086 - 24/03/2003 20:35 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Apart from an above-average vocabulary (for the web) the page linked reads like a child's argument. It does prove that stone-age man still lives today. They're his customer-base.

Bruno

#150087 - 24/03/2003 21:53 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: hybrid8]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Someone please explain how the woodpecker evolved so many specific traits all at once. The two most glaring being that the tongue wraps completely behind its head, and that the beak is fused to the skull. Both of which are useless without the other. Evolutionary theory dictates that there are small genetic mutations that produce higher survival rates in altered organisms. How can the toug growing backwards into your skull be any advantage? Unless of course it split, wrapped all the way around the skull, rejoined, and elongated in one mutation. Extremely unlikely. Or rather absurdly unlikely.

#150088 - 24/03/2003 22:07 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Want to hear something funny? My mom works for National Geographic and is usually the one who edits/researches all their dinosaur stories. She has a paleontologist friend who has several students (who are planning on making a career out of it) who refuse to believe in evolution. I always wonder how they look at the evidence and convince themselves it isn't true. I think I'd go insane

ps-check out the latest dino story about dinosaur behavior. It's really good, and has some great pictures, and my mom edited it. One of my favorite parts was where a scientist discovered that dinos like the brontosaurus did not walk around with its neck and head extended upright like in Jurassic Park or like giraffes, because in order to do so their heart would have to be way too big in order to pump the blood to their heads. interesting.

#150089 - 24/03/2003 22:15 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
The thing that gets most paleontologist's panties in a wad is when you mention that they have never found any form of itermediate fossil. There have been many T-Rex skeletons found, for example, but no skeletons that are "almost" T-Rex. Evolution claims that there are many many steps taken to arrive at a new species. Giving that logic, there should be many times more "step" species than there are "final" species. Whay can't they find just one. In my opinion, the harder they try, the dumber they look.

#150090 - 24/03/2003 22:17 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Dignan]
Banacek
journeyman

I always wonder how they look at the evidence and convince themselves it isn't true. I think I'd go insane

Easy. The scientific process used in dating and in the theory of evolution is laughable at best. If the same principals that are used in carbon dating or other techniques used to prove evolution were used in the field of medicine, we'd be lucky if we survived taking asprin. Evolution was a desperate attemp to remove God from the picture, and it worked. So now that we're not under the restrains of religion, why do we still hold on to a theory that requires THE SAME AMOUNT of faith that creationism does? I for one don't like the two choices that I've been given. And until one comes along that is actually a fact, and not a theory, I'll just have to say 'I don't know'

#150091 - 24/03/2003 22:24 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, I'd say if the theory has removed God from the picture for you, then that's a personal choice. I for one don't think you have to deny evolution if you believe in God or a God. I just think that, like in many cases, strict interpretation is an incredibly stupid thing. But that's a personal case.

For one thing, there has always been a huge debate on the "are birds related to dinosaurs" issue. Well, they supposedly have found loads of evidence to prove it, and there's that new dino that was found with feathers on its arms and legs that allowed it to drift. No, I don't suppose they've found your "almost T-rex", but for me, I believe evolution more than creationism.

#150092 - 24/03/2003 22:27 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

By the way, if anyone happens to, for some reason, have all the "Bullshit" episodes on tape or whatever, I would gladly pay good hard cash for a tape of them. I knew I'd wish I had Showtime when I saw the previews for the show. I saw the episode on healing methods (magnets, slugs , etc), and laughed my ass off. Please let me know if I can get a tape from you, or perhaps a digital version of it

#150093 - 24/03/2003 22:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Dignan]
Banacek
journeyman

Well, I'd say if the theory has removed God from the picture for you, then that's a personal choice.

I meant that people were looking for something, ANYTHING, that they could believe in that wasn't God, or creationism. They needed a theory that didn't have God involved. No God, no more having to live under the rule of religion.

And if you are a Christian, you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, meaning everything in there is fact. Thus, you couldn't be a Christian and believe that God used evolution.

On the other hand, there is way too much design involved in our own planet to say that it all just somehow 'came together' I know that they said it took billions of years, but that's just an easy way of making it so there's no way to possibly test your theories. It's like if I said 'Sure, I can fly, I just need a million years to get myself prepared to do it.'

I still don't understand why we're forced to choose. I mean, I wish they didn't teach either one in school. How about we worry about teaching the English language or basic math.

Edit: I also think it's wrong that it is being taught in schools as fact, when it's not. I've had many people tell me that they learned that evolution was a proven fact.

Edited by Banacek (24/03/2003 22:41)

#150094 - 24/03/2003 22:38 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I had a choice between Showtime and HBO and I picked HBO because of "The Sopranos" and "Real Time with Bill Maher." Is there anything else on Showtime worth watching besides the Penn and Teller show?

#150095 - 24/03/2003 23:11 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

How about we worry about teaching the English language or basic math
That I will agree on. I saw a poll recently where 11% of Americans couldn't point out America on a globe. Regardless of who the poll was offered to, that is unacceptable.

By the way, I am still undecided as to my religion. I have been loosely raised as a Methodist in a very liberal church and environment. However, I never once, since I first took a couple Sunday school classes, ever believed in creationism. Even as a little kid, I wanted to know where the 3rd generation of people came from. The teacher wouldn't tell me, so I was forever a skeptic. My main problem has always been with taking the bible as literal fact.

My favorite story relating to this is from a biology teacher I once had. He had a devout Christian come up to him after his class on evolution, complaining about his beliefs in it. Instead of going off on all the scientific reasons for his belief, he posed a challenge for her own beliefs. First, he asked if she know how long a cubit was. She didn't know. He explained a cubit was about the length of a forearm. Then he pointed out that the ark, as described in the bible, is about 40 cubits long.

His point was this: if there were the exact same number of species on the earth then as there are today, as dictated by the absence of evolution, it is physically impossible to fit that many animals on the ship. You couldn't even fit all the beetles in the world on it.

Whatever you get out of this argument, my point is that the girl left the discussion at least thinking about it. I think that a major problem of today is that so many people have opinions and beliefs that are based on nothing but what they have been told to believe. Too many people don't really sit down and think about what they believe.

Sorry, I think I'm rambling. I'm a bit stressed this week

#150096 - 24/03/2003 23:14 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: lectric]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

How can the toug growing backwards into your skull be any advantage?
Evolution does not require that something be an advantage, only that it not be a disadvantage.

I honestly don't know much about woodpeckers, but for a similar argument, take a look at creationism vs. evolution with respect to the bombardier beetle. I imagine that many similar arguments apply here.

#150097 - 24/03/2003 23:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Sometimes I find Chris Isaak to be a funny, pretty cool guy, but I don't think I'd watch his show. Looking at the rest of the Showtime lineup, there doesn't seem to be much there. I don't watch Sopranos, but I would love to watch Real Time and Six Feet Under. I saw an episode of Real Time while I was home, and would regularly watch it if I could.

Showtime lineup:
Queer As Folk
Soul Food
Odyssey 5
Jeremiah
Street Time
The Chris Isaak Show
Penn&Teller: Bullshit!
Family Business

HBO lineup:
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
The Wire
Sex and the City
Real Time with Bill Maher
Da Ali G Show
Oz
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Def Poetry
Project Greenlight
Band of Brothers
Arli$$
The Mind of the Married Man

#150098 - 24/03/2003 23:42 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Scratch Odyssey 5 off that list, Showtime canned it in favor of having Jeremiah as the only "sci-fi" show on Friday, even though O5 was the second highest rated show on the lineup.

Jeremiah is actually rather good, and shows many of J. Michael Straczynski qualities from Babylon 5. The entire first season was good, and showed lots of interleaved plot lines. It ended with about as much surpise that the last parts of B5 Season 1 did.

#150099 - 24/03/2003 23:44 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

'll agree that the article that started this thread was about non-Christian-based ID

I should have clairified that. His preception of the exact term ID to him refers to the alien belief. He personally has a heavy Christian lean, but does not overly consider himself "religious".

#150100 - 24/03/2003 23:50 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah, well, it doesn't sound like something I'd be very interested in. It doesn't matter, really. I don't plan on getting either channel. I just wish I could mix 'n match my TV shows. I'd have one station that would show Real Time, Bullshit!, possibly Six Feet Under, and the rest of the time would play the best shows of TechTV.

Darn basic cable...

#150101 - 24/03/2003 23:56 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Easy. The scientific process used in dating and in the theory of evolution is laughable at best

Wrong actually. While older dating methods did have some flaws, and opened the door to "scientific non-proof" for all the creationism people, this newer one dosen't have such flaws. Isochron Dating is the proper term, and when someone from the Institue for Creation Research used it, they found some interesting results. They seem to think the Grand Canyon age issue debunks Isochron Dating, but they don't give any reason for this beyond the fact that the new data even puzzled scientists. My only idea is that since most of them believe the Earth is only thousands of years old, the 1.07 billion figure dosen't sit well with them.

I will admit even scientists have had a hard time with the Grand Canyon, but the dating method its self seems reliable

#150102 - 24/03/2003 23:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I hadn't heard the Grand Canyon thing. What's the deal with that? If you've got a good link I'd love to see it.

#150103 - 25/03/2003 01:50 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
In reply to:

And if you are a Christian, you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God

I'm not sure I agree with that. [disclaimer - I am not religious, although I have vague Gaiaist/Buddhist leanings] I think you can be a Christian, and believe in the Christian God, Jesus etc but can be sceptical of the writings in the bible as they were just written by people. I mean, there are a reasonable number of what appear to be complete contradictions in there, and a whole number of things a 'good' God surely never said to anyone. Of course that does assume the Christian God is a good one...
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#150104 - 25/03/2003 01:52 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
And if you are a Christian, you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, meaning everything in there is fact. Thus, you couldn't be a Christian and believe that God used evolution.

Well, *some* or even *many* Christians might believe that everything in the Bible is fact, but I can point out at least *one* counter-example of a Christian that *doesn't* think everything in the Bible is fact, let alone necessarily "inspired". Why?

a) Jesus taught in parables, right? I.e. stories. The stories weren't about fact, but were used as illustrative purposes to get a point across. If Jesus can do it, then why can't the people that wrote the Bible, inspired or not? Presumably Genesis was written for a bunch of people that did not have our scientific education, right? No matter how inspired a writer might be, do you think many people would really, honestly, truly understand if he went off about the big bang and primordial soup and micro-organisms and carbon based life-forms and DNA and evolution, supposing that that's what really happened? No. What would people of that era understand? "God spat on the earth, and out of the dust and mud, created man in his image." Now, is the inspiration of God found in the literal meaning of the text, or is the inspiration of God found in the ability of the writer to get the point across to his audience of the time?

b) The Bible has been translated from language to language to language. There are concepts in some languages that are un-translatable into other languages. For example, the Chinese word xia has no direct translation in English -- a loose translation is chivalrous hero, but that does not embody all the concepts of what xia really is (take that, Mom -- watching Kung Fu movies *did* teach me something!) Similarly, the Inuit have something like 40 different words for snow. We have... uh... about 4. I think it necessarily inevitable that something has been lost in the translation. Multiply that by the number of generations of translation before you get to English version, and you end up with something in which it would be impossible to have the identical meaning and context as the original. Heck, biblical scholars can't even come to an agreement over the original untranslated versions!

c) The content of the Bible has been under the control of people who's aims have been less Godly than Worldly. Texts have been included or not included based on political motivations. Popes and Kings have a vested interest in having the Bible say particular things.

d) The begats. I have no doubt of their truth, but really, just how inspired does one have to be to put down an historical lineage of a people. There are lots of folks into that sort of thing today, but does anyone call them "inspired by God"? I hardly think so. In my opinion, since there is one section of the Bible that could have been written without any need for divine inspiration, then there could well be others.

Science and Christianity (and religion in general) are not mutually incompatible. Religion does a great job providing one with some moral standard or code for living life, but it does a pretty bad job at explaining how things work. Science is the opposite -- it's great at explaining why or how things work, but you'll never get a decent answer from it about anything in the metaphysical realm.

FWIW, I was raised Christian, but part of my church's tenet is that any religion can only be interpreted through an individual's personal experiences, and is thus very much a subjective experience. Ergo, I was taught Faith, but not blind acceptance. To me, being told that the Bible contains only Absolute Truth hearkens back to the age when the Bible was only written in Latin in order that the Popes and priests could dictate what the unwashed illiterate masses would know about the Bible -- i.e. *their* version. After all, the instruction is "seek and ye shall find." How exactly is one seeking if one never questions?

Uhh.... am I ranting? I'll stop, now.

Cheers,

#150105 - 25/03/2003 01:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Even as a little kid, I wanted to know where the 3rd generation of people came from.

Unless Jesus isn't unique in being born of a virgin mother, the only answer I can figure is incest -- not exactly something you want to go trotting out in the middle of Sunday School, now, is it?

#150106 - 25/03/2003 02:11 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: frog51]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I think you can be a Christian, and believe in the Christian God, Jesus etc but can be sceptical of the writings in the bible as they were just written by people.

Heaven knows about the United States, but in the UK I think that's the majority form of Christianity: most Christians I know don't believe in creationism, or (another fundamentalist touchstone) Satan as an actual being (as opposed to a symbol of the evil in every human).

Peter

Edit: if the word "evil" in itself seems a bit superstitious and metaphysical, all I mean by it is "anti-social tendencies"; that is, tendencies which if expressed would be detrimental to society.

#150107 - 25/03/2003 02:52 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
That's my experience of UK Christians (of which I used to be one, until I came to my senses) as well. I know of only a couple of people who think the Bible is a literal truth.

I always used to love "debating" this point with them as it is a completely indefensible point of view.

#150108 - 25/03/2003 05:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: frog51]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I think you can be a Christian, and believe in the Christian God, Jesus etc but can be sceptical of the writings in the bible as they were just written by people.

I'd say it's more appropriate to say that evangelical Christians believe the bible is the inspired word of God. Anyone can call themselves a Christian and pour whatever meaning into the word they want, but when I speak of evangelical Christianity, I am referring to those who would view the bible as the only infallible revelation given to us by God.

As far as the biblical interpretation, believing in an infallible book doesn't mean we take every work as wooden literal. Biblical scholars (and laymen as well) have the responsibility of taking into account many factors about a passage before determining it's meaning. One key part of this (though not the only factor) is the form of literature being employed. The psalms are poetry, the parables are illustrations (designed BTW, to make things less clear, not more so). There are several passages that are still debated among evangelical, though the main concepts (such as salvation by grace, not works) are very clearly stated. I must underscore the point, however, that biblical interpretation is not a matter of picking up the bible and saying "this is what these words seem to mean to me," because that very quickly gets us down the road of reading whatever we want into the scriptures and then using it to against other people (which of course, happens every day). There are guidelines for approaching the scripture, and when people try to come at the text in isolation without respect to the rest of the bible, the form of literature being employed, the audience to whom the book was written, or a host of other considerations, horrible misunderstandings can result.

That being said, what about Genesis? Well, what I am about to say should not be taken as mainline evangelical Christianity, (I might even get branded liberal) but I think it's difficult to say. Did God create everything? Yes, absolutely. Did he do it in seven days? It's difficult to tell, even biblical scholars debate this point. Is it a parable? No, I don't think so. Does it preclude evolution? No, well not without a bit of theology first. I'll explain:

Since there is some debate (at least in my mind) over the time periods which the creation occurred in Genesis, could God have used evolution to form humans "from the dust"? From only that, I'd say sure. The larger problem with evolution (from a theological standpoint) is that we are talking about the weak dying simply because they are weak (something not in God's nature as it has been revealed to us), before Adam sinned, and therefore before the fall. Yet before the fall, the bible teaches the world was a perfect paradise, exactly as God would have it, not the corrupted version we live in today.

So this is the big theological problem with evolution: it doesn't seem to be in God's nature. However, (and this is where my fellow evangelicals might cringe) I do believe that here we have a good bit of logic, but it only takes one misunderstanding to have missed the point completely. Certainly the evidence I was given for evolution in school was bad science, ("we've proven species adapt, therefore species grow into other species"), but I'm not precluding the possibility, given better science. We are always growing and learning, and perhaps some of our theology is wrong, though it is hard for me to see how it could be.

Still, in the end evolution does not prove that we appeared on the scene by random chance, though I suppose that case has been tried before. However, saying that men eveloved from apes is still a long way off from saying inanimate "clay" (or something else) got the "spark of life". Somewhere along the line, life had to happen, and evolution (so far as I can tell) can't explain that away. Even then, evolution doesn't explain how the matter got here in the first place.

So the stance I take is that I don't know when it comes to these things. As of now I don't believe in evolution because the evidence I've been given isn't good enough and my theology says "no." However, I'll admit I haven't studied the real science behind evolution at all (as opposed the what I received in school, which wasn't real science), so I have to admit ignorance.

But the bottom line is this: I believe the bible is divinely inspired. Predictions that have come true both about Jesus and other events in the middle east attest to this. Archeology and history time and time again have backed up the bibles historical accounts, even when historians thought the bible was off base. I also believe that science is usefull and, in fact, something given to us by God. When the two seem to contradict I have to be patient and check my understanding of both, realizing that answerers might not be immediately obvious with our present knowledge. However, I don't believe the Genesis account should be the stumbling block to faith: it is one mystery in the bible where there are many things clear to us. The clear things tell us that there is a Savior who died to save us from sin. If I focus my attention on origins and never get to the most important aspect of faith, then I have done those who are still seeking the truth of Jesus a grave disservice.

Edited by FerretBoy (25/03/2003 07:11)

#150109 - 25/03/2003 06:41 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Adam and Eve had many children, and yes, they married their brothers and sisters. Not necessarily a bad thing at the time, because the DNA was pretty much pure, and the genetic problems with intermarrying wouldn't surface.

#150110 - 25/03/2003 06:53 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
peter
carpal tunnel

Adam and Eve had many children, and yes, they married their brothers and sisters. Not necessarily a bad thing at the time, because the DNA was pretty much pure, and the genetic problems with intermarrying wouldn't surface.

So, uh, where did the impurities come from? If you believe in DNA but also believe in Adam and Eve, who are our other ancestors?

Peter

#150111 - 25/03/2003 07:00 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Ever heard of the second law of thermodynamics? Everything is moving to an increasing state of disorder. Things like harmful mutations, ingesting toxic substances, etc can have effects on the DNA...

#150112 - 25/03/2003 07:11 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
Banacek
journeyman

Ever heard of the second law of thermodynamics? Everything is moving to an increasing state of disorder. Things like harmful mutations, ingesting toxic substances, etc can have effects on the DNA...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the second law of thermodynamics go in direct contrast with the theory of evolution? And if that's the case, how can you have a scientific theory that goes against a scientific law?

#150113 - 25/03/2003 07:20 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
Banacek
journeyman

Wrong actually. While older dating methods did have some flaws, and opened the door to "scientific non-proof" for all the creationism people, this newer one dosen't have such flaws. Isochron Dating is the proper term, and when someone from the Institue for Creation Research used it, they found some interesting results. They seem to think the Grand Canyon age issue debunks Isochron Dating, but they don't give any reason for this beyond the fact that the new data even puzzled scientists. My only idea is that since most of them believe the Earth is only thousands of years old, the 1.07 billion figure dosen't sit well with them.

Interesting. I'm going to have to read up on this. I like knowing as much as I can about both sides of an issue. Usually somewhere in the middle you can find the truth But what about the moon? If the earth and the moon are as old as we're to believe, there should of been a lot of space dust on the surface. But there were only a couple of inches.

I will admit even scientists have had a hard time with the Grand Canyon, but the dating method its self seems reliable

That's easy. Paul Bunyan made it when threw his axe into the ground

#150114 - 25/03/2003 07:25 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
peter
carpal tunnel

So how long ago do DNA-plus-creationists suspect Adam and Eve lived? I believe the bible-literalists' figure, from adding up all the begats, is about 6,000 years. It seems unlikely that enough chance mutations to explain the colossal variance in the human genotype, could happen in so few generations.

Incidentally, this has nothing to do with the second law of thermodynamics.

Peter

#150115 - 25/03/2003 07:31 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Ever heard of the second law of thermodynamics?

This is in the FAQ. Also here.

#150116 - 25/03/2003 07:32 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the second law of thermodynamics go in direct contrast with the theory of evolution? And if that's the case, how can you have a scientific theory that goes against a scientific law?

Surely there's a FAQ out there somewhere with this sort of stuff in, but, for the record, the second law of thermodynamics says that in a closed system, entropy (disorder) tends to increase. Life on earth is not a closed system, it has a continuous (vast!) energy feed from the sun. If we take the whole solar system, then that's (for all intents and purposes) a closed system. Come back when the sun has exhausted its finite amount of fusionable hydrogen, the planets have been mined for all their finite supply of fuels, and vulcanism caused by the finite amount of radioactive material in planets' cores has died away, and then see how much evolution you can find going on.

Very large closed systems can take very large amounts of time to reach highly unordered states. There is no breach of the second law of thermodynamics here, move along.

Peter

#150117 - 25/03/2003 07:36 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: canuckInOR]
Banacek
journeyman

Well, *some* or even *many* Christians might believe that everything in the Bible is fact, but I can point out at least *one* counter-example of a Christian that *doesn't* think everything in the Bible is fact, let alone necessarily "inspired". Why?

Well, that's like saying I'm a vegan except those times when I really want to eat steak. The whole idea of picking and choosing what you believe in the Bible is ludicrous to me. You either believe in it or you don't.

a) Jesus taught in parables, right? I.e. stories. The stories weren't about fact, but were used as illustrative purposes to get a point across. If Jesus can do it, then why can't the people that wrote the Bible, inspired or not?

Cause the Bible clearly states that those are stories, and the rest is presented as fact.

No matter how inspired a writer might be, do you think many people would really, honestly, truly understand if he went off about the big bang and primordial soup and micro-organisms and carbon based life-forms and DNA and evolution, supposing that that's what really happened?

Well inspired means that God literally came down and wrote the books of the Bible through man. And if God can't explain it, who can?

c) The content of the Bible has been under the control of people who's aims have been less Godly than Worldly.

Ah, and there is the problem with the Bible (and religion) to begin with. I agree with you completely about this. The original manuscripts don't contain any of the misogynicist tone that you'd find in the King James Version. Or the blatant hatred of homosexuals either. My whole problem with religion is that it was established in a time where having a government was impossible. Religion came up to help control people without the presence of a government. Then, when governments came along, they found with what ease they could control people using religion as a tool, bending it to their will. The best example of this is the medievil times. They had it worked out perfectly. Keep the word of God in another language, so the common man can't read it for himself. He had to go to a priest to be told what he was supposed to do.

#150118 - 25/03/2003 07:41 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
Roger
carpal tunnel

The whole idea of picking and choosing what you believe in the Bible is ludicrous to me. You either believe in it or you don't.

Why can't you? The bible is nothing more than a bunch of short stories in a compendium. Some of them are factual, some of them are fictional, some of them are op-ed, some of them are straight historical documents.

#150119 - 25/03/2003 07:46 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

Well, that's like saying I'm a vegan except those times when I really want to eat steak. The whole idea of picking and choosing what you believe in the Bible is ludicrous to me. You either believe in it or you don't.

Only because you personally have decided to believe it all... do you find the notion of a document, some of which is true, some of which isn't, "ludicrous" in other walks of life?

Peter

#150120 - 25/03/2003 07:46 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Roger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Why can't you? The bible is nothing more than a bunch of short stories in a compendium. Some of them are factual, some of them are fictional, some of them are op-ed, some of them are straight historical documents.

The short answer is that the bible serves little purpose if you pick and choose what you want out of it. If we seek to understand God and how he relates to humans through the bible, and yet reject the things we don't like or can't understand, this leaves us back at the same place we started. We've enfourced our ideas onto the bible; why then read the bible at all if we're simply going to come away with our own ideas? It might be read for the purposes of understanding the people who wrote it or the historical context in which it was written, but if not taken as a whole, the bible can tell us little about God.

#150121 - 25/03/2003 07:49 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Roger]
Banacek
journeyman

This is in the FAQ. Also here.

Ok, from that article.

Snowflakes, sand dunes, tornadoes, stalactites, graded river beds, and lightning are just a few examples of order coming from disorder in nature; none require an intelligent program to achieve that order.

I think getting from a goo of cells to what we are now is alot more complicated than a sand dune. Evolution requires just as much faith as creationism.

#150122 - 25/03/2003 07:49 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Did he do it in seven days? It's difficult to tell, even biblical scholars debate this point.
Of course He didn't. Those first few passages of the bible are rife with logical impossibilities (like how do day and night exist without the Sun, for an obvious example).

I always wonder how people can assume all of the Bible can be true when so much of it contradicts itself. Obviously, some of it must be false.

You may be interested in the Skeptic's Annotated Bible.

#150123 - 25/03/2003 07:53 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Roger]
Banacek
journeyman

Cause it would defeat the purpose of believing in the Bible to begin with. "Hey, I don't like that part in there where it says I can't kill, so I'm just going to ignore it." According to your logic, he would still be a Christian and he could go around killing people. It even states so in the Bible "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you. " Deut. 4:2

#150124 - 25/03/2003 07:54 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

I think getting from a goo of cells to what we are now is alot more complicated than a sand dune.

Yes. That's why natural processes take a few weeks or months to make a sand dune (and dunelike formations in powdery snow can take hours) whereas evolution takes about a billion times longer. If our poor ape brains were better equipped for visualising "a billion times longer" then there'd be less scepticism about this sort of stuff.

And if you ask me, zero to a goo of cells is the hard bit; goo to us sounds easy by comparison.

Peter

#150125 - 25/03/2003 07:56 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

It even states so in the Bible "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you. " Deut. 4:2

Deuteronomy? So that dates from before they added the New Testament to it, then?

Peter

#150126 - 25/03/2003 07:56 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

Only because you personally have decided to believe it all... do you find the notion of a document, some of which is true, some of which isn't, "ludicrous" in other walks of life?

Only if it requires me to devote my intire life to it's teachings. And requires me to believe it fully. And for the record, I'm not Christian. The glaring flaws in the Bible would make it hard for me to devote my life to it. I'm just debating what the definition of a true Christian is.

#150127 - 25/03/2003 07:59 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hey, I don't like that part in there where it says I can't kill, so I'm just going to ignore it.
Ah, so you choose Exodus 20:13 to believe in: ``Thou shalt not kill''.

Fair enough.

What about Exodus 32:27: ``Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side ... and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor'', or Numbers 15:35: ``And the Lord said unto Moses, The man [who was found picking up sticks on the sabbath] shall be surely put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones'', or 1 Samuel 15:12-13: ``Thus saith the Lord of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare him not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.''

So which part do you believe in? The part that says not to kill or the part that tells you to kill me because I work on Sunday?

#150128 - 25/03/2003 08:00 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

Ok, "For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." 1 Thess. 2:13 Or this verse kind of hits the nail on the head. "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." Hebrews 11:3 If your a Christian, there's a stong argument on why you can't believe in evolution.

#150129 - 25/03/2003 08:03 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Nothin' like scripture out of context to start the morning off, eh Bitt? I would expect a little more out of you.

#150130 - 25/03/2003 08:03 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I always wonder how people can assume all of the Bible can be true when so much of it contradicts itself. Obviously, some of it must be false.

If there are such contradictions. I breifly checked out that link (because I'm at work and can't go through entire web sites) and didn't see anything new, or contradicting. I'll admit there are "problems" that sometimes are difficult to answer, but the majority of "contradictions" that I ever hear about are due to violating one of the rules I cited above of biblical interpretation (context, audience, literary style, etc.)

I'll admit that sometimes there are questions I cannot answer; however out of my experience with the trustworthiness of the bible I can assume there are answers, even if I do not know them.

#150131 - 25/03/2003 08:04 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Sure it's out of context. But in one, it says don't kill. In the other it says kill. There needn't be any context. If you can show me how one doesn't contradict the other, I'd be happy to hear it.

#150132 - 25/03/2003 08:04 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
Banacek
journeyman

So which part do you believe in? The part that says not to kill or the part that tells you to kill me because I work on Sunday?

Again, I don't believe it, just because of contradictions like that. The God of Old Testament was a jealous and spiteful God, and not one that I would want to say I believe in. I'm just trying to show that if you say you are a Christian, you can't pick and choose the Bible, cause if you do there's no point to being a Christian at all. I wish people would say, "You know what, I'm not a Christian. I just believe that I should live my life the best that I can, and help someone out if I get the chance." Why do you have to be associated with a religion to do that?

Edit: For the record, this message board is one of my favorite places to discuss anything on the web

Edited by Banacek (25/03/2003 08:06)

#150133 - 25/03/2003 08:06 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

So you're just arguing the semantics of something you don't believe in? That seems like a waste of time.
Why do you have to be associated with a religion to do that?
No reason, and good point.

#150134 - 25/03/2003 08:07 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

And if you ask me, zero to a goo of cells is the hard bit; goo to us sounds easy by comparison.

I completely agree, and I think this is the real Intelligent Design question, not evolution.

#150135 - 25/03/2003 08:08 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

I am not a theologian, but one plausable explanation would be that the commandment is against murder, not against capital punishment or warfare. Then again, to be fair, I haven't studied the issue thoroughly either.

Maybe the Rev. will comment...

#150136 - 25/03/2003 08:08 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

Ok, [...New Testament readings...]

That's not quite what I was getting at: that reading you provided (if you interpret it correctly) says that we can't accept the New Testament as, er, gospel, without refusing to accept Deuteronomy 4:2 as gospel. So you've got to pick-and-choose either way.

Peter

#150137 - 25/03/2003 08:10 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Ok, now my translation says do not murder, which is different than kill.

#150138 - 25/03/2003 08:12 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
Banacek
journeyman

So you're just arguing the semantics of something you don't believe in? That seems like a waste of time.

My parents were missionaries, so arguing about Christianity is a bad habit I'm having a hard time breaking A lot of people go around saying that they're something, without really knowing what it means. They should read the Bible, at points it's highly disturbing. Also, people use Christianity as a reason for their hatred and bigotry, which I think is wrong.

#150139 - 25/03/2003 08:16 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, that's an interesting argument. I, personally, don't make any distinction between the local authority killing someone versus a person doing it, but I see your point.

#150140 - 25/03/2003 08:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

That's not quite what I was getting at: that reading you provided (if you interpret it correctly) says that we can't accept the New Testament as, er, gospel, without refusing to accept Deuteronomy 4:2 as gospel. So you've got to pick-and-choose either way.

Not really, the whole story of the Old Testament is to tell about how man sinned, and fell out of the grace of God. And the only one who can come and save us is the Messiah, the Son of God. So the story of the Son of God coming to earth and dying for our sins would be what every man was waiting for, and would be the inspired word of God.

#150141 - 25/03/2003 08:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

The original manuscripts don't contain any of the misogynicist tone that you'd find in the King James Version. Or the blatant hatred of homosexuals either.

That's an interesting observation that got a bit lost in the arguing. I can understand how misogyny crept in in translation (male pronouns for God etc.), but have you got a source for the homosexuality thing? Seems to me that plenty of people ought to be told about it if the bibles they thump aren't, in fact, anti-gay.

Peter

#150142 - 25/03/2003 08:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Well, that's an interesting argument. I, personally, don't make any distinction between the local authority killing someone versus a person doing it, but I see your point.

Naturally...not being a Texan and all...

#150143 - 25/03/2003 08:21 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
"Thou shalt not kill" truly is a bad translation, at least for our vernacular... it made a little more sense in 1611.

#150144 - 25/03/2003 08:26 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
revlmwest
addict

Anti gay sentiment is misunderstood on both sides of the spectrum. The Bible is very clear through both testaments and several authors that homosexuality is a sin. However, Paul lists it right beside lying and dishonoring your parents, something I'm sure all of us have been guilty of at least once in our lives. Making anything short of disbelief the unpardonable sin contradicts the theme of scripture. Those of my theological slant that make homosexuals the brunt of jokes or demean their worth, quite frequently find my "Mr. Roger's Personality" turning much more "Isaiah, Thus saith the Lord."

#150145 - 25/03/2003 08:27 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

That's an interesting observation that got a bit lost in the arguing. I can understand how misogyny crept in in translation (male pronouns for God etc.), but have you got a source for the homosexuality thing? Seems to me that plenty of people ought to be told about it if the bibles they thump aren't, in fact, anti-gay.

Most people who argue that the Bible is anti-gay use the text in Romans about "Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." Romans 1:27. If you look at the original text though, what Paul was talking about was the disgusting orgies and acts of self-decadance that were going on in Rome at the time (which admittedly,. were pretty much as wrong as you get) When translated, it was turned into being just anit-gay, when the real meaning was not the act that was wrong, but the way they were doing it. I wish I had the book I read on the subject, but it was a while ago. Anyway, if you look at the life of Jesus, who did he hang out with? The prostitues, the sinners. He didn't judge, he accepted everyone. I wish more people would believe in that than the one verse they find to support their hate.

#150146 - 25/03/2003 08:27 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Naturally...not being a Texan and all...

Yes we just did execute (or are about to) our 300th person. The next state behind us has executed about 80.

#150147 - 25/03/2003 08:29 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

"Thou shalt not kill" truly is a bad translation, at least for our vernacular... it made a little more sense in 1611.
Actually, I think it makes a hell of a lot of sense now.

Of the things in the Bible that make sense, it is second only to Luke 6:31 (or Matthew 7:12).

#150148 - 25/03/2003 08:30 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
Banacek
journeyman

The Bible is very clear through both testaments and several authors that homosexuality is a sin.

The Old Testament has a lot of sins that people violate every day. That was the purpose of it. To show that man could never follow all those rules and live a sin free life. It showed that if they wanted to follow God, they would need the Messiah.

#150149 - 25/03/2003 08:30 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

acts of self-decadence

What a great band name!

Peter

#150150 - 25/03/2003 08:35 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
revlmwest
addict

In reply to:

The original manuscripts don't contain any of the misogynicist tone that you'd find in the King James Version. Or the blatant hatred of homosexuals either.

This statement is both wrong and representative of why discussions such as this one should not define people's beliefs. The orginal manuscripts of the old and new testaments are not extant. The Old Testament manuscripts were destroyed as the became worn. The New Testament documents will probably never be found either.

#150151 - 25/03/2003 08:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

Most people who argue that the Bible is anti-gay use the text in Romans

There's also the uncomfortable matter of Leviticus 20:13 (see Q7).

the disgusting orgies and acts of self-decadence [...] (which admittedly,. were pretty much as wrong as you get)

Hang on, are you saying that even consensual orgies are disgusting and/or wrong, or are you saying the Romans went in for nonconsensual orgies? How come self-decadence is sinful?

Peter

#150152 - 25/03/2003 08:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
revlmwest
addict

I'm speaking of making sense out of translation, not the philosophical idea.

#150153 - 25/03/2003 08:43 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I know. I was making something of a non-sequitur point, not implying that you felt either way.

#150154 - 25/03/2003 08:45 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

The Old Testament has a lot of sins that people violate every day. That was the purpose of it. To show that man could never follow all those rules and live a sin free life. It showed that if they wanted to follow God, they would need the Messiah.

Almost correct. Yes the law was to demonstrate that people needed the Messiah, but that doesn't mean that what was sin then is no longer sin. While we are no longer required to adhere to the laws pertaining to worship practices and government because of the crucifixion, we are still under the “moral” law, where homosexuality would fall. It is still sin and therefore in conflict of living the Christian life.

However, (and this is a big “however’) so are many other things that Christians seem to overlook while targeting on homosexuality. This attitude of Christians is wrong and tends to undermine our purpose. "Living the Christian life" is not the prerequsite for salvation (faith is), therefore, not being a homosexual is not a prerequsite for salvation. In fact, I am sure that many Christians struggle with homosexuality, as we all are struggle with sin.

#150155 - 25/03/2003 08:47 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

How come self-decadence is sinful?

Because it draws us away from God, which is the whole point of sin. Sin is not about doing wrong to society, but "missing the mark" (where the word comes from) that God intends us to hit.

#150156 - 25/03/2003 08:52 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

Hang on, are you saying that even consensual orgies are disgusting and/or wrong, or are you saying the Romans went in for nonconsensual orgies? How come self-decadence is sinful?

Cause your body is a temple of God's. You are supposed to take care of it. So if say, you go around eating way too much, and throwing up just so you can eat more, that would be a sin. The act of sex isn't wrong, but if that's all you do everyday, if it's your life, then that would be wrong.

#150157 - 25/03/2003 08:55 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
Banacek
journeyman

Almost correct. Yes the law was to demonstrate that people needed the Messiah, but that doesn't mean that what was sin then is no longer sin. While we are no longer required to adhere to the laws pertaining to worship practices and government because of the crucifixion, we are still under the “moral” law, where homosexuality would fall. It is still sin and therefore in conflict of living the Christian life.

But that just falls into the whole picking and choosing part again. My point is that nowhere in the gospels does Jesus say it's ok to hate and alienate. But people do that everyday in his name.

#150158 - 25/03/2003 08:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
Banacek
journeyman

This statement is both wrong and representative of why discussions such as this one should not define people's beliefs. The orginal manuscripts of the old and new testaments are not extant. The Old Testament manuscripts were destroyed as the became worn. The New Testament documents will probably never be found either.

Going by that then we shouldn't believe anything that is in the Bible, cause who knows what hidden agenda is in there.

#150159 - 25/03/2003 08:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

Yes the law was to demonstrate that people needed the Messiah

Whatever else you can say about the Lord, He's a marketing genius. "I'll impose all these arbitrary rules on you, specifically aimed at making it impossible to follow them all, and then I'll offer you a new faith-based product in which following these rules is not the prerequisite for salvation." That's right up there with "New Windows 95 doesn't restrict you to 8.3 filenames" in the arena of selling solutions to problems the seller created in the first place.

Peter

#150160 - 25/03/2003 09:01 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

Whatever else you can say about the Lord, He's a marketing genius. "I'll impose all these arbitrary rules on you, specifically aimed at making it impossible to follow them all, and then I'll offer you a new faith-based product in which following these rules is not the prerequisite for salvation." That's right up there with "New Windows 95 doesn't restrict you to 8.3 filenames" in the arena of selling solutions to problems the seller created in the first place.

That one had me rolling. It's the truth though. All Jesus asked for is your faith in him, and your behavoir towards your fellow man to be one of acceptance and love.

#150161 - 25/03/2003 09:08 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

But that just falls into the whole picking and choosing part again.

Not true. It is still the infallible word of God, and we are not “picking and choosing” what we like and do not like. We do not live in a theocracy, so therefore laws concerning government are not directly applicable (though there are still underlying principals). Likewise, in the New Testament we are told that Jesus' sacrifice was the summation of the sacrificial system of worship, so those law are not to be strictly observed (but again, there are principals the are meaningful). Jesus was quite clear, however, when it cam to the rest of the law that it should still be observed.

My point is that nowhere in the gospels does Jesus say it's ok to hate and alienate. But people do that everyday in his name.

Which is a good point, and in fact what I was saying in the rest of my post.

#150162 - 25/03/2003 09:11 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

'll impose all these arbitrary rules on you, specifically aimed at making it impossible to follow them all. . .

Except that it isn't impossible to follow them all. Jesus was fully man and he did it. If Adam had not fallen he would have been able to follow the law perfectly as well. All the law does is demonstrate what is already true: that we reject God and instead focus on ourselves.

#150163 - 25/03/2003 09:32 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
revlmwest
addict

First my point is that you were relying on documents to prove your point that are not extant. Secondly, the Bible does have more documentation than any other book in existence. Fragments and texts over hundreds of years have shown phenomenal accuracy and trustworthiness. But even this is moot when one considers the formation of the canon. Either I believe the God I have a personal relationship with to be capable of keeping His text pure or I don't.

#150164 - 25/03/2003 09:32 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Jesus was fully man and he did it.
At least according to the gospel as edited by Constantine.
If Adam had not fallen he would have been able to follow the law perfectly as well.
This is the same as saying if he hadn't eaten an apple, then he wouldn't have eaten an apple -- a meaningless tautology.

#150165 - 25/03/2003 09:33 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
revlmwest
addict

It also isn't arbitrary since the laws describe the nature of God. Be holy because I am holy... The law isn't what God wanted us to be like, it is what He already is.

#150166 - 25/03/2003 09:47 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

This is the same as saying if he hadn't eaten an apple, then he wouldn't have eaten an apple -- a meaningless tautology.

No, it is saying if he hadn't eaten the apple he'd have been obeying God. God said "you have a choice: eat the apple and defy me, or don't eat the apple and live without sin." Adam ate the apple and demonstrated that he believed he knew a better way than God.

#150167 - 25/03/2003 09:56 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Look at what you're saying.

I'm assuming that by ``fallen'' you mean ``committed a sin''. You say that if he hadn't fallen, then he would have been able to follow the law perfectly, where the law is defined by what sins are, so that following the law perfectly means never to commit a sin.

So your statement
If Adam had not fallen he would have been able to follow the law perfectly as well.
is easily translated to:
If Adam had not [committed a sin] he would have been able to [commit no sins]
I don't see that that has any meaning.

However, it is possible that my assumptions about what you mean in certain places are wrong.

#150168 - 25/03/2003 10:01 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: lectric]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
The thing that gets most paleontologist's panties in a wad is when you mention that they have never found any form of itermediate fossil.

While I have heard it claimed, say by creationists, that this issue gets paleontologists' undies in a bunch, I have yet to see any independent verification that this issue does, in fact, get paleos' knickers in a twist.

FWIW, it is an issue raised often enough for a a.t.o FAQ last updated in 1997. A small excerpt is:

To demonstrate anything about how a species arose, whether it arose gradually or suddenly, you need exceptionally complete strata, with many dead animals buried under constant, rapid sedimentation. This is rare for terrestrial animals. Even the famous Clark's Fork (Wyoming) site, known for its fine Eocene mammal transitions, only has about one fossil per lineage about every 27,000 years. Luckily, this is enough to record most episodes of evolutionary change (provided that they occurred at Clark's Fork Basin and not somewhere else), though it misses the rapidest evolutionary bursts. In general, in order to document transitions between species, you specimens separated by only tens of thousands of years (e.g. every 20,000-80,000 years). If you have only one specimen for hundreds of thousands of years (e.g. every 500,000 years), you can usually determine the order of species, but not the transitions between species. If you have a specimen every million years, you can get the order of genera, but not which species were involved. And so on.

I'm assuming you've read all of that, so wonder what you think the flaws are. And is there a fossil record of a paleontologist with torqued BVDs??

(not trying to turn this thread into a.t.o, and I even hesitated to respond, except that I see that the thread has already gone off in other directions!)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#150169 - 25/03/2003 10:08 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I think it's important to point out that not every animal that ever died became fossilized. It's a fairly rare occurrance. Most just disintegrated.

#150170 - 25/03/2003 10:12 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Ah, let me rephrase then.

God is perfect and holy. Man was created to be perfect and holy as well, which means acting and doing as God does. If Adam (as the first man) had stuck with this program, he would never have had to experience death. God, however, did not see fit to create man to be like him and have to choice about it. To give man this free will a choice was put before him: “here is an apple you can eat that will cause you to experience death. It is not my [God’s] will that you should eat of it, but I will not stop you.” Adam chose to eat the apple against God’s wishes. This was not an arbitrary rule, however: Mankind was not meant to experience death or to disobey its creator.

Now we have a people who have chosen against God, and don’t realize that they are at odds with their creator. Thus God gives them the law, which is again (as the Rev stated) not arbitrary, but characteristic of who he is. These people can then see, by way of the law, how they “miss the mark” of who they are supposed to be. The law has not made these people unrighteous, it has demonstrated who they are by contrasting their ways and God’s ways.

This law points us to a Savior who, by faith, has given us the ability to be put right with God again. However, unless we realize we need a Savior, we will not trust in Him. Thus the law demonstrates that we need a Savior.

#150171 - 25/03/2003 10:22 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, since 2AM and 12PM, this thread got 68 new replies.

I'm just going to post what my "contact" at National Geographic calls "One-stop shopping--all the links you'll ever need in support of evolution"

#150172 - 25/03/2003 10:22 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I think it's important to point out that not every animal that ever died became fossilized. It's a fairly rare occurrance. Most just disintegrated.

Absolutely. And that seems to be the issue that this FAQ treated in a more elaborate way. If everyplace was like Wyoming -- if I could start shoveling anywhere and find a T-Rex -- Wyoming wouldn't be so famous, would it?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#150173 - 25/03/2003 11:05 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Either I believe the God I have a personal relationship with to be capable of keeping His text pure or I don't.

I'll concede that God is capable of keeping his text pure. This does not mean that God actually wanted to keep the text pure. His reasons for making the bible (or allowing it to become) self-contradictory or ambiguous are, presumably, ineffable.

#150174 - 25/03/2003 12:36 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: lectric]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
The thing that gets most paleontologist's panties in a wad is when you mention that they have never found any form of itermediate fossil. There have been many T-Rex skeletons found, for example, but no skeletons that are "almost" T-Rex.

You obviously haven't met a real paleontologist or seen a paleontological collection (research collection, not museum one). There are hardly any fossils exept 'intermediate' ones. Almost everything paleontologists find (except perhaps most common and stable species like some mollusks) is 'almost this' or 'somewhat like that' or 'between A and B'.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#150175 - 25/03/2003 12:49 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
bonzi
pooh-bah

If the same principals that are used in carbon dating or other techniques used to prove evolution were used in the field of medicine, we'd be lucky if we survived taking asprin.

I used to work in an institution where they did C14 and tritium dating. Not terribly accurate, of course, but your get you order of magnitude (much better that that, but that's beside the point). Of course, the deeper in the past we get, more assumptions get into the picture and measurements become less accurate, but not that innaccurate..

Evolution was a desperate attemp to remove God from the picture

On the contrary. I would like warm and fuzzy feeling of having somebody watch over me (I don't worry about having to stick to It's ethics - my private version of it is close enough to that published by Christians), but, sadly, I don't see any evidence of such Someone's existence. Many early (and some modern) scientists found themselves torn between what they see and what more ortodox interpretation of their religion teaches.

OTOH, while I concede that out universe might conceivably be result of purposefull initial design, it is irrelevant to this discussion.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#150176 - 25/03/2003 13:34 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Again, I don't believe it, just because of contradictions like that. The God of Old Testament was a jealous and spiteful God, and not one that I would want to say I believe in. I'm just trying to show that if you say you are a Christian, you can't pick and choose the Bible, cause if you do there's no point to being a Christian at all.

I agree with your description of Old Testament God. Actually, to me Christianity seems a very unlikely (but, apparently, successful) attempt to join two disparate religions (or, should I dare to say, 'repair' one): one based on fear, another on love. Now, what should a 'true Christian' do?

I wish people would say, "You know what, I'm not a Christian. I just believe that I should live my life the best that I can, and help someone out if I get the chance." Why do you have to be associated with a religion to do that?

Again, I agree. Kantian categorical imperative seems good enough foundation for everyday ethics, and altruism has well understood evolutionary advantages.

For the record, this message board is one of my favorite places to discuss anything on the web

Mine too, of course.

#150177 - 25/03/2003 13:57 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
bonzi
pooh-bah

God, however, did not see fit to create man to be like him and have to choice about it.

That is one of biggest problems I have with Christian theology (and Judaic and Islamic, of course): why would a perfect beign create an imperfect creature and then punish it for not being perfect? To put is harsly, in order to have something to play with!? I think that Christian concept of God is blasphemous!

#150178 - 25/03/2003 14:00 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Thank you for this post, Jeff. I rarely have opportunity to hear coherent argument from a believer (despite my younger brother being one), and this one certainly is.

#150179 - 25/03/2003 14:06 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: bonzi]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

That is one of biggest problems I have with Christian theology (and Judaic and Islamic, of course): why would a perfect beign create an imperfect creature and then punish it for not being perfect?

As I said before, man was created to be perfect, only given the opportunity to be imperfect. This may sound like a thin line, but it’s important to understand the difference. Sin entered the world through us, not by God. He gave us the freewill to disobey him, apparently deciding that it is better to give us the choice of service rather than forcing us into obedience. Would it have been more just to make us into robots that obeyed His law without any will of our own? Christianity says the answer to this is “no.”

#150180 - 25/03/2003 14:11 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yet, at the same time, it says that that free will is wrong. Odd.

#150181 - 25/03/2003 14:14 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what you're saying. By "it" do you mean my statement or the bible?

#150182 - 25/03/2003 14:16 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
bonzi
pooh-bah

I don't know where to put this reply, so I will stick it to the original post:

I urge evolution-sceptics to consider what else is wrong or baseless if species actually don't evolve: genetics, biomedicine, virology, practically all life sciences are firmly rooted in notion of evolution. Take that out, and what is left: capricious God playing elaborate and cruel practical joke on His creation!?

All kinds of pseudosciences (including, but by far not limited to creationism) take easy way: they have simple answer for everything, ignoring the vast body of knowledge gathered at the price of oceans of sweat and often blood (and that knowledge only scratching the surface of reality). At least today biologists, paleontologists and honest teachers are not burning at stake (yet). Giordano Bruno did. And yet, 'it does move', as his more pragmatical colleague Galileo would say, no?

So, my dear creationists, believe as you wish, but then be honest and don't touch that flu vaccine - it is surely work of devil.

Edit: Sorry for somewhat abrasive tone; I did not intent to insult any believer who actually thinks about this (and, as this thread shows, such creatures do exist ).

Edited by bonzi (25/03/2003 14:40)

#150183 - 25/03/2003 14:17 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: bonzi]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Thank you for the kind words. I rarely get to have these conversations (apart from around people who agree with me without even thinking) so I really appreciate the ability to have these discussions.

#150184 - 25/03/2003 14:19 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The Bible.

Free will inherenly includes the facility to do the wrong thing. Always avoiding the wrong thing would not be free will. Since free will is the only thing that provides the facility to sin, then free will itself must be wrong.

I suppose you could argue that free will means the ability to choose indiscriminately amongst multiple non-sin options, but that argument doesn't seem to be supported by what you're quoting.

In addition, Calvinists would claim that you're out-and-out wrong, and I don't think anyone could make a reasonable argument that they're not Christian.

#150185 - 25/03/2003 14:26 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
bonzi
pooh-bah

As I said before, man was created to be perfect, only given the opportunity to be imperfect. This may sound like a thin line, but it’s important to understand the difference. Sin entered the world through us, not by God.

Hm, I think I understand what you are saying, but I am not buying it. After all, I am an IT consultant, I know who is responsible for program's behaviour And I understand it is crucial for Christian teology.

He gave us the freewill to disobey him, apparently deciding that it is better to give us the choice of service rather than forcing us into obedience. Would it have been more just to make us into robots that obeyed His law without any will of our own?

No, it would be more just not to punish us for our (planned) imperfection.

I guess it has to do with understanding of free will (and is it logically possible for a omniscient being to produce something unpredictable). Also, with question of why would a perfect beign have such a lowly, human concept as punishment?

#150186 - 25/03/2003 14:33 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Always avoiding the wrong thing would not be free will.

I don't follow. It's still a choice to do the right thing, so therefore freewill.

In addition, Calvinists would claim that you're out-and-out wrong, and I don't think anyone could make a reasonable argument that they're not Christian.

This is about to get seriously deep into theology if we continue, and I'm not sure how profitable our conversation would be concerning Calvinism and election; those ideas are generally debated among believers.

However, I will state a few things. First of all, believing my previous statements about the fall of man, freewill etc. is not necessary to be a Christian. In fact I’ll admit some of it at least is probably my own thinking rather than emphatic Christian theology. Secondly, not all Calvinists disbelieve freewill. They will state that man can choose God, but given his alliance with sin would never do so. It should be noted, however, that this is the situation after the person has fallen (or chosen sin over God). So in this view, there is the freewill to fall, but not to return. Some Calvinists do say, however, that Adam didn’t have freewill to fall in the first place. I respectfully disagree, though I certainly believe that they are Christians.

#150187 - 25/03/2003 14:42 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'll admit that I'm skating on thin ice here, but my point is that you can't prove that free will exists until you do something that's opposite to what God wants; namely, a sin must be committed. So since the existence of free will inherently means that sin exists, free will must be wrong.

And I'll admit that Calvinists kinda-sorta believe in free will to an extent, but not really. The rules are certainly remarkably complicated and seem to exist to make it more palatable to the population.

#150188 - 25/03/2003 18:29 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: canuckInOR]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Similarly, the Inuit have something like 40 different words for snow.

I hate to rain on your parade here (actually, I love it, but that's just my mean streak showing through ) but this would cast doubt on that statement.

tanstaafl.

#150189 - 25/03/2003 18:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

some of the entries on the serious lists of Eskimo snow words are as dubious as "wa-ter" meaning melted snow

#150190 - 25/03/2003 20:28 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
Banacek
journeyman

Except that it isn't impossible to follow them all. Jesus was fully man and he did it. If Adam had not fallen he would have been able to follow the law perfectly as well. All the law does is demonstrate what is already true: that we reject God and instead focus on ourselves.

This part I always thought was odd. Now was Jesus all Man, or all God? According to the text he's supposed to be both. So of course he could live a life without sin, he's God. He had some help.

#150191 - 25/03/2003 20:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: bonzi]
Banacek
journeyman

On the contrary. I would like warm and fuzzy feeling of having somebody watch over me (I don't worry about having to stick to It's ethics - my private version of it is close enough to that published by Christians), but, sadly, I don't see any evidence of such Someone's existence. Many early (and some modern) scientists found themselves torn between what they see and what more ortodox interpretation of their religion teaches.

What I mean is that science was under the control of religion, and religion main interest was not always the truth. Here's a question; has anybody heard of Darwin's Confession, where Darwin, nearing the end of his days, recanted everything he said about evolution? I've always hear that it's real or fake, depending who you talk to, but I've never seen any facts about. If anything to me, I've always had the belief that there is too much design in the world to of come together by chance, but whoever did it has long since left us by now.

#150192 - 25/03/2003 21:57 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Here's a question; has anybody heard of Darwin's Confession, where Darwin, nearing the end of his days, recanted everything he said about evolution? I've always hear that it's real or fake, depending who you talk to, but I've never seen any facts about.
This may be another of those "who you talk to" things, but this source says it's fake:

Q: Didn't Darwin renounce evolution on his deathbed?

A: The Darwin deathbed story is false. And in any case, it is irrelevant. A scientific theory stands or falls according to how well it is supported by the facts, not according to who believes it. See the Lady Hope Story FAQ.
I think, more importantly than whether the story is fake, is the point they make. Even if he did refute it, it doesn't matter. The theory either stands or falls depending on the evidence. Even if darwin were stark raving mad when he came up with the theory, it's still supported by the evidence. A theory stands on its own, no matter who posited it or whether or not that person still favors it.

This is the corollary to the point Penn and Teller were making with the "sex of the rabbit" demonstration. It went like this:

"Here's a rabbit. We don't know the sex of the rabbit. Teller and I are going to vote on what we think the sex of the rabbit is." (They each scribble on small cards. Penn holds up his card, it has the universal symbol for Female drawn on it.) "I think the rabbit is female. Teller thinks..." (he holds up teller's card, which contains a well-known unpronounceable symbol on it) "... Teller thinks the rabbit is Prince."

Their point was... No matter what they voted, or thought, or believed, the rabbit was either male or female, and the only way to really find out was to CHECK. That's the nature of science. You check, you test, you find the facts and the falsehoods through experiment. It doesn't matter what you believe. There's no voting (despite the fact that they documented a school board voting on essentially that very thing). The rabbit is either male or female, evolution either happens or it doesn't. Science is not the theory, science is not a belief, science is the method you use to check and test your theories or beliefs against the facts.

#150193 - 25/03/2003 22:05 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Drat. Whoever cooked that up, then, did a good snow job on me.

(But the part about the Chinese xia still stands.)

#150194 - 26/03/2003 03:45 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
bonzi
pooh-bah

What I mean is that science was under the control of religion, and religion main interest was not always the truth.

Religion per se came to being as attempt to make sense of the world, so it originally was interested in what we would now call scientific truth. For organized religion ('religious establishment', i.e. churches of all kinds) your statement holds, of course, because they are primarily political organizations.

Here's a question; has anybody heard of Darwin's Confession, where Darwin, nearing the end of his days, recanted everything he said about evolution? I've always hear that it's real or fake, depending who you talk to, but I've never seen any facts about. If anything to me, I've always had the belief that there is too much design in the world to of come together by chance, but whoever did it has long since left us by now.

I have never heard of "Darwin's Confession", but, one way or another, it is irrelevant. Evolutionary biology is not anchored in belief in Darwin's work. He was merely a well known pioneer (not even the first one). His work also has only historical signifficance (but huge one), as it was far too simplistic. He was a kind of biology's Kepler, not Einstein or Planck.

The whole point of "scientific method" is constant questioning of current assumptions and reeexamination of body of knowledge (which creationists seem to have difficulty understanding, but, as I said elsewhere, they prefer simple and definite answers). We currently don't know how the 'first spark of life' came into existence. Several ideas are in circulation (form classical 'primordial soup' to more current attempts to examine catalytical properties of some clays). However, virtual concensus among scientists is that Occam's razor leaves no room for direct Divine intervention.

Fine tuning of physical constants to make universe conductive to life is another matter. Obviously, if they were different we would not be here to observer them, but that statement is more avoiding the question than answering it. Two solutions seem to make sense: either there exist infinite number of universes with different physical constants (the tiny portion of them inhabitated), or the universe was designed so that life can (or, if you will, must) appear. This is old discussion; novices can google for 'anthropic principle'.

(Edit: I should finally learn to read the whole thread before responding; half of this post repeats Tony's response

Edited by bonzi (26/03/2003 03:49)

#150195 - 26/03/2003 06:04 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

This part I always thought was odd. Now was Jesus all Man, or all God? According to the text he's supposed to be both. So of course he could live a life without sin, he's God. He had some help.

True. The bible teaches that Jesus was tested as we are tested, but I understand the doubt (though I don't hold it) that His "testing" was not as difficult for Him as it is for us.

#150196 - 26/03/2003 11:53 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: bonzi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I should finally learn to read the whole thread before responding; half of this post repeats Tony's response
Actually, I kind of liked seeing the same point driven home again.

We currently don't know how the 'first spark of life' came into existence.
Right. We've got ideas, and some experiments that show it could have happened a certain way, but no way to find out if it really did happen that way. Ditto for the existence of the universe itself. They talk about the Big Bang, but that one is still very much in the "theory" department because evidence for it is sketchy (but mounting).

One of the things that bugs me is when some creationists try to talk about biological evolution and the Big Bang theory in the same breath. They're two different and completely unrelated theories.

Evolution doesn't try to answer the question "where did the universe come from?" It only answers the biological question of how life on this planet became so intricate and complex. Heck, even the Big Bang theory doesn't answer the "where did the universe come from" question, it only theorizes about the first moment of the universe's existence.

Obviously, if they were different we would not be here to observe them
Ah, exactly. Now there's something that's really fun to think about. I remember the first time this "hit" me. I was young, pre-teen, and it was an eye-opening idea for someone my age.

The idea: Sure, the chances are billions to one against any given planet supporting life (the creationists like to use this as an argument for I.D. sometimes). Fine, but here we are, sitting on that one-in-a-billion planet. Does that mean we were incredibly lucky? NO, it means we were inevitable, and the fact that we're sitting here contemplating our own existence simply means that our brains evolved enough intelligence to perform that activity. Put another way (perhaps existentialism, but anyway): If we weren't able to sit here contemplating our own existence, then we wouldn't be contemplating our own existence.

I forget who said it first, but here's the corollary: Sure, you could say that the odds of winning the lottery are millions to one. But the guy holding that winning ticket would be a fool to throw it away because "it must be wrong, the odds are millions to one against it being right".

Creationists like to argue that the first spark of life on this planet, the first time molecules assembled into self-replicating strands, had astronomical odds against it. Scientists counter with: "Yeah, but we had oceans of molecules working on the problem for eons". I counter with: "You're both forgetting that we had an entire universe full of planets, many of them with oceans of molecules working on the problem." (and I use the term 'working' metaphorically, of course.)

See, any argument about how "unlikely our biology could have come about by chance" is forgetting to look at it in the proper scale. They think it has to apply just to our planet, or our solar system, or our time period. It doesn't.

We're sitting on a winning lottery ticket, and we've got the evidence to show it. Those who say the game was rigged are missing out on the true wonder and appreciation for the situation.

#150197 - 26/03/2003 13:12 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

One of the things that bugs me is when some creationists try to talk about biological evolution and the Big Bang theory in the same breath. They're two different and completely unrelated theories.

Actually my experience has been that this is untrue. Most creationists I talk to affirm the Big Bang and yet deny biological evolution. Certainly there are those out there who deny the Big Bang as well, but I've seen clear delineation between the two theories.

Evolution doesn't try to answer the question "where did the universe come from?" It only answers the biological question of how life on this planet became so intricate and complex. Heck, even the Big Bang theory doesn't answer the "where did the universe come from" question, it only theorizes about the first moment of the universe's existence.

Completely accurate statement, and I wish everyone would realize it.

Creationists like to argue that the first spark of life on this planet, the first time molecules assembled into self-replicating strands, had astronomical odds against it. Scientists counter with: "Yeah, but we had oceans of molecules working on the problem for eons". I counter with: "You're both forgetting that we had an entire universe full of planets, many of them with oceans of molecules working on the problem."

From what I understand, it's not just a matter of odds here. No matter how much time or energy was spent "working" (in the metaphorical sense ) on it, it's still difficult to see how molecules could come together without outside intervention to make un-life into life. It's not just a simple matter of unlikely combinations being formed; it takes an implausible series of events. From a scientific point of view, does this prove that there was an intelligent designer? No, since that would be an argument from absence, which I don't like to do. Does it allow for and intelligent designer? I'd at least think that's a reasonable theory.

Of course I have evidence outside of science that gives me a very solid answer to this question, but I know your thoughts on testamoniels so I'll leave it off the table. Whatever my experiences may mean to you however, it is reasonable for me to draw my own conclusions from them.

We're sitting on a winning lottery ticket, and we've got the evidence to show it. Those who say the game was rigged are missing out on the true wonder and appreciation for the situation.

I have much more "wonder and appreciation" for people who make massive amounts of money by talent and intellect rather than those who win out of pure chance. To use another analogy, while neat moments in computer games caused by (pseudo)random algorithms are always fun, seeing the vast worlds the designers create is much more reason for awe and appreciation, at least in my book.

#150198 - 26/03/2003 13:20 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No matter how much time or energy was spent "working" (in the metaphorical sense ) on it, it's still difficult to see how molecules could come together without outside intervention to make un-life into life.
So where did this outside intervener acquire life?

#150199 - 26/03/2003 14:08 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

He's eternal

#150200 - 26/03/2003 14:26 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a higher power. Your brain can't comprehend Him, just like it can't imagine four dimensions, or it can't comprehend infinity.

#150201 - 26/03/2003 16:49 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: tfabris]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
Thought I'd chime in with my two penn'orth...

Tony wrote:
If we weren't able to sit here contemplating our own existence, then we wouldn't be contemplating our own existence.

That's the WAP (Weak Anthropic Principle, not to be confused with mobile telephony, of course!) in a nutshell, or to quote from an argument on the Internet Infidels website:
The WAP is significant in that it makes the improbability of any one universe (i.e. our own) irrelevant. We should expect that our universe has features compatible with our existence, since, after all, we exist.

Which, to me, copes quite nicely with the calculations of probability you come across from time to time that are so high that it all seems completely improbable.

And I couldn't agree with you more that it's necessary to emphasise that the Big Bang Theory only talks about the first few moments, not about life at all - and what happens before the initial singularity (if the concept of "before" has any meaning, rather than being a question like "what's north of the North Pole?"), is in all likelyhood completely impossible to determine.

I also think it's important to separate the fact of Evolution, as defined as "any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next", from the theories of how current flora and fauna came to be as they are, from the initial creation of life on the planet. The first is demonstrable in any biology lab; the second open to debate, but the main theories have such a weight of evidence behind them that I find it unreasonable to believe otherwise; and the third is unknown, possibly unknowable, but I don't consider it unreasonable to assign blind chance to it (q.v. the WAP!), especially given such research as this.

#150202 - 26/03/2003 18:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Meatball man is right: He (God, not Meatballman) is eternal. While this of course sounds like a copout to a non-believer or skeptic, I don't think it is. It doesn't take much thought to come to the conclusion that there HAD to be an uncaused cause. Somewhere, somehow, something exists or existed that was never created. Some say our universe itself never had a beginning, other theories include timeless other dimensions that created this one. Christians believe it is God. Given the options, saying that God is an uncaused cause is at least as plausible as anything else we've come up with.

#150203 - 27/03/2003 03:45 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

Somewhere, somehow, something exists or existed that was never created. Some say our universe itself never had a beginning, other theories include timeless other dimensions that created this one. Christians believe it is God.
I believe this is what Discordians refer to as the "Proof by Semantic Gymnastics". If that was all that Christians believed about God, it would merely be an unusual definition of the word. It is, and no doubt you'd characterise this as a Good Thing, a bit of a "leap of faith" to attribute all the rest of the God stuff to this uncaused cause: being sapient, liking to be worshipped, caring about certain complex biochemical structures on one certain world lost in the infinite void, sending "His" "only" "son" there, etc.

Peter

#150204 - 27/03/2003 04:02 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

(Leaping back a bit in the thread, but...)

No, it is saying if he hadn't eaten the apple he'd have been obeying God.
That's assuming that God would have given up on tempting Adam to evil if the apple thing hadn't worked. Frankly, from what we see from the apple story of God's taste in practical jokes, this seems unlikely to me. It seems more likely, in fact, that God undertook it in rather the spirit of the makers of Candid Camera or Jackass: try lots of things, but only make a TV show of the one that the patsy falls for. Adam was, reasonably literally, damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Peter

(paraphrased from the "gifts of fruit" sequence in The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, but no less valid IMO for being penned by a novelist, not a theologian)

#150205 - 27/03/2003 05:13 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

if that was all that Christians believed about God, it would merely be an unusual definition of the word

In the words of C.S. Lewis: "Don't presume to think that I am saying more than I am." (OK, that may have been a bit of a paraphrase, but the idea is there). The only thing I was answering is the "who made God" question, and even then all I did was provide an explanation among other explanations of the "uncaused cause" question.

The other stuff you mentioned cannot be determined by science or logic; it is from divine revelation (the bible) that we understand that God is involved in this universe, sent Jesus to die for our sins, etc. And of course, we've already had that debate in this thread.

#150206 - 27/03/2003 05:28 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

(paraphrased from the "gifts of fruit" sequence in The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, but no less valid IMO for being penned by a novelist, not a theologian)

Though I don't remember that part (we are talking about the book, correct?), as far as I'm concerned Douglas Adams is fair game as far as quoting (or paraphrasing) goes. Yes, he satires religion (and Christianity) a bit, but he seems to be an equal opportunity satirist giving skeptics a hard time too (remember the guy who runs the universe?). The "Babel fish" piece also contains a message to theologians and non-theologians alike in how we can tie ourselves in knots with simple logic (not to mention being about my favorite sequence from any piece of fiction). Besides, the best fiction is usually written with a purpose in mind (or several) and is generally much more accessable to us "mere mortals" than the "ivory tower" theologian's/ philosopher's writings.

#150207 - 27/03/2003 11:53 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The "Babel fish" piece also contains a message to theologians and non-theologians alike in how we can tie ourselves in knots with simple logic (not to mention being about my favorite sequence from any piece of fiction).
Agreed. Not to mention it's made me more careful at crosswalks since the day I first read it.

#150208 - 27/03/2003 12:28 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

I don't remember that part (we are talking about the book, correct?)
FWIW, it's near the end, when Arthur and Ford are travelling from (what turns out to be) prehistoric Islington to prehistoric Norway.

Peter

#150209 - 12/07/2003 23:36 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Random new link that I came across from a new creation science discusson I am having elsewhere. http://www.drdino.com/. Site offers $250,000 to someone proving evolution is real, but it has so many loopholes, it's doubtful anyone will ever get paid, even if they make a time machine and show evolution over millions of years.

#150210 - 14/07/2003 13:02 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: drakino]
bonzi
pooh-bah

OK, I am offering $10E+12 to anyone proving that God is real (of course, I don't have $10E+12, but the same holds for proof of Divine existence).

Please note that "If God does not exist, who pops out the next Kleenex?" does not constitute the proof in this context. Neither does "I feel Divine presence" nor "It says so in the Bible".

Edit: I appologize to genuine believers here and hope they are not offended. Their faith it just that, faith; we are talking proofs here (which are more or less irrelevant for religion, but not for science).

Edited by bonzi (14/07/2003 13:05)

#150211 - 14/07/2003 13:45 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: bonzi]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
Faith is not completely void of proof. Quite to the contrary in fact. Now those that want to say that everything they have faith in is provable scientifically have a problem also I admit. But the things I have faith in develop out of a platform of truth that has been developed over time. I believe not against what I see proven, but instead I believe what I do because I see it as the logical, yet not provable, extension of those proofs.

I should add that I'm not really sold on Young Earth Theory, even though I am very solidly a creationist.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >